Wednesday, October 02, 2019

A Mourner’s Musings from the Pew


A couple of Sundays ago I was back in Orlando's Cathedral of St. Luke. It was a strange experience. A return to one of my old stomping grounds, there were many aspects of it that were very familiar. And yet, as has been the case for a long time now, I felt very little inside upon my return there, almost as if it was my first time there, as if no personal history existed in that place at all. 

I don’t go to the Cathedral these days unless it is absolutely necessary. The necessity this time was the funeral for a dear friend who had been the cathedral organist and musician for years. The previous time I had been there was for the ordination of a fellow parishioner from St. Richard to the diaconate. Prior to that, it was the Pulse vigil and the funeral for one of its victims that brought me back for the first time in 20 years. 

The Cathedral was my home parish for the eight years I spent in Orlando prior to heading off to Berkeley for seminary. But I have avoided it like the plague since returning to this city. And there are good reasons for that.




A Hobson’s Choice, A Change of Character

When I returned to Orlando after six years absence for seminary and grad school, I knew things were very different there. The impact from the regime change in the bishop’s office just down the street was inescapable. That was already occurring as I left for the west coast. 

The Cathedral I had left had been a vibrant urban parish with ministries to the homeless and interfaith work with the three other liturgical traditions within a three block radius. It was a welcoming parish with a diverse congregation. The Cathedral I encountered was a very different place. 

The tenor of the preaching had become shrill and angry and a series of exoduses of former parishioners occurred in its wake. The homeless were the first to go, required to move off cathedral property for their coffee and donuts. A parish that once had a reputation for being tolerant of LBGTQ people, it suddenly had become a bastion of homophobia confused for revealed religion. After a series of stormy town hall meetings, its Chapter was given the ultimatum by its well-heeled old-timers: It’s either the gays or us (translation: our money). It’s not terribly difficult to predict how that decision went. And shortly thereafter, the beloved dean who had been the epicenter of that controversy followed the dispossessed out the doors of the Cathedral never to return.


My final visit to the Cathedral 20 years previously had told me everything I needed to know about the character of a parish that had devolved into something intolerable during my six year absence. I had just moved back to town from Tallahassee, was teaching full time at Valencia and working on my dissertation. I went as a favor to a long-time friend I knew from Cathedral days past, a legally blind man who lived in section 8 housing and was often mistaken for a homeless person. 

He needed someone to accompany him to the funeral of a former dean of the cathedral. “He was nice to me, little brother,” he had said. And so I agreed to take him. 

About 20 minutes into the requiem service, he said he needed to go to the bathroom and would be right back. I was certain that this man knew the premises well given his years there as a parishioner. But after about 20 minutes when he did not return, I grew anxious. Had he gotten lost somewhere? Had he stepped into the street and gotten hit by a car he never saw coming? 

I turned around to look for him and spotted him in the narthex, pressed up against the glass divide which separates it from the main church. It’s where noisy babies are dispatched during services. My friend looked like a dog in the window of a puppy store, watching the service but unable to escape his cage. 

I went out to get him and asked why he hadn’t returned. “That man wouldn’t let me come in,” he said. The usher – translation: guard – who had presumed him to be a homeless person and barred his entry – simply shrugged. 

My friend had long been my canary in the mine shaft whom I took with me to new churches. I watched how people treated him. If they respected his dignity, I’d consider returning. If not, I would never return. That night I promised myself as I left the cathedral in a simmering rage that I would never darken its doors again. The Cathedral and I had said everything we needed to say to one another. I would not return. 

And I didn’t for 20 years. 

Margaret Mead Mode 

But things change. 

I did return to Cathedral 20 years later. Of the four times I have been to the Cathedral, all within the last two years, three were for funerals. This time, like the times before, it felt odd to be in that familiar but now alien space. 

Sometimes when I am deeply troubled, I drop into a dissociative mode, observing what is happening around me as if an anthropologist investigating a recently “discovered” tribe. I call it Margaret Meade Mode. It helps me get through. And I was decidedly there during this funeral. 

So, what did I observe? 

First, I must give credit to the many people who participated in the music making that day. From the stringed ensemble to the soloists to the choir, swollen with old members who had returned home to bid their former teacher and choirmaster goodbye, the music was simply glorious. I had forgotten what it sounds like to have that much indoor space filled with beautiful sound. It was truly magnificent. 

I think Ben would have been proud. 

 Second, I observed that the structure of the Cathedral was well maintained and still as beautiful as I remembered from my days there as a choir member, lector and subdeacon. The flags from Florida’s 450 year history which had been displayed from the clerestory above the two story concrete pillars towering over the nave are now removed. My guess is that they came down in deference to the objection to the Confederate battle flag that was included among them. Whatever else one might say about St. Luke’s, its ultimate concern is always social respectability. 

But for the most part, it was still the same massive, beautiful structure I remembered. 

In days gone by, I would have said there was a sense of the holy there. Sacred spaces become so from years of worshippers engaging in rites, praying and singing. A Liberal Catholic Church priest who is a friend of mine describes this as being “magnetized by the sacred.” This is, no doubt, still true of the Cathedral despite itself.

But this day, something else struck me. 

More than anything else, this was a set for a giant drama. The costuming was tasteful. The movements were clearly rehearsed and well regulated. The pageantry was well executed. The attendees certainly got their money’s worth. 



Perhaps that’s what cathedrals are best at. They do, after all, contain the thrones of bishops complete with their crowns borrowed from the Roman Empire and their attendants with fancy titles (Archdeacons, no less!) who stand by their side to meet their every command. And cathedrals have, historically, also been the sites for the crowning of kings and emperors. Given that history, this royally appointed space in the center of a thriving city of 2.5 million souls does a good job of living up to its expectable persona. 

But something else struck me as I watched this service unfold. It’s hard to put my finger on it but if I had to come up with a word it would be self-possession. The actors in this drama appeared not only to be fully aware of their roles (and thus their relative importance vis-à-vis one another), they also appeared to be highly concerned that everyone else should note this as well.

As I thought back on my own time at the Cathedral, I remember thinking that what we were doing there was important, perhaps a little more important than the mere services taking place out in the provinces around us. After all, we were “the Ca-THE-dral.” 

Time and distance has given me a sense of how pretentious that was as well as time to reflect on my own perceived needs to participate in such thinking. 

With self-possession comes a concern for status. One of the great losses to the Cathedral parish in its devolution has been its loss of self-understanding as an inner-city parish connected to a highly diverse community. In its place has come a sense of mission as the chaplaincy to the well-to-do, the movers and the shakers. 

There were very few people of color present at the funeral with the exception of the decedent’s husband’s unacknowledged family. There were no homeless people sitting next to bank presidents as was the case in days of Cathedrals past. This congregation appeared to be the upper middle-class white elites at prayer. 

When I read my gut about what I was feeling, it came back with ugly words: smarmy, smug, self-righteous, patronizing, condescending - words so ugly I began to immediately do a second gut check to see how much of this was projection on my part.

Either way, it felt pretty oppressive.

Ridding Themselves of the Disconfirming Other



Given the direction the Cathedral has taken, I can well see how it could have cut off the many folks it did to begin this new course. Homeless people are evidence of the failures of the same market fundamentalist system that produced the wealth of the elites. LBGTQ people are a liability to fragile, straight white male clergy who feel a desperate need for the affirmation of toxically patriarchal male peers increasingly confined to the Southern Hemisphere. People of color are always “welcome” but rarely feel so once there and don’t stay. And those parishioners who dared raise objections to the exclusions that resulted from this change in direction soon felt the need to make their exodus as well. 

By then, they, too, knew what it meant to be rejected, first hand. 

It’s a lot easier to be a cohesive ideological tribe when all the disconfirming others are removed.  Purges and inquisitions always reveal the insecurities of the excluders.

For a very long time I was hurt by that rejection. It is one of many encounters with institutional religion that has made me unable to ever fully trust the church. There is a reason that I tell people that when I stand inside the church it is never far from the exits.



But more than my own rejection, I was angry about the people there I had come to know and love who had been hurt. Some went to other parishes. Some to other churches entirely. Many – beginning with my beloved husband who was for years in charge of one of the smoothest operations of young acolytes I’ve ever seen - simply walked away from institutional religion altogether. 

The Cathedral had been the last chance many of them were willing to give organized religion. And the betrayal they felt from a church they had dared to trust was simply too much to bear. 

I often come away from encountering these former fellow parishioners in the supermarkets or on the street with a broken heart. Of all the hurts I endured in this meltdown, this is the one I have had to work hardest to forgive – a work that continues today.

It is those beautiful, trusting souls lost to the church for which it will be required to account in the end. 

And Yet….

Over time, I thought about that meltdown less and less. Gradually the pain ebbed nearly completely away. It helped that I was three time zones away for most of that time. What came in the place of that aching heart was a numbness and a commitment to simply avoid the place. 

Little wonder I had such a sense of disconnection as I sat in that pew in the Cathedral for only the fourth time in 22 years.  

This day, I listened to a dean selling salvation schema, filling the air with theological vagaries, casting about for anything other than talking about the actual life of the dear friend we were supposedly there to honor. Clearly he was avoiding the elephant in the room - that the deceased was married to another man in a service that could never have taken place in this very cathedral he had served for two decades with distinction.

But amidst that sadness and irritation, I began to hear that small still voice which often comes to me at the most unpredictable times. The timing of this one was truly amazing. 

It suddenly dawned on me that amidst the anger and the pain I was recalling there is much about my experience there for which I am grateful. I learned to sing and speak in liturgical settings there. I learned how to serve at the altar and at the communion rail there. In the days before the Institute for Christian Studies became a finishing school for fundamentalists who wanted to become deacons, it was a respectable regional theological school. I completed two years of thoughtful study there that made my first year of seminary a breeze. 

More than that, I met people at that place who changed my life and gave me a chance to begin discovering and claiming who I truly was. For that, I will always be grateful. And I will always cherish those friendships that have managed to survive the devolution of a vibrant parish into this self-possessed chaplaincy for the movers and shakers.

I came across this poster on Facebook last week that stopped me dead in my tracks. I am at a point in life where I am seeking to own up to my past, to embrace my Shadow, to integrate it as best I can. That includes owning the deep grief that for a long time I have confused with anger. 

For this heavily right brain mystic, this gave me an image to work with.

I have come to see my time at the Cathedral as a necessary stage in my life development. It was never meant to be a permanent location, just a stop along my life journey. I grew enormously from my time spent there. Trying to hold onto it even as the wheel of life changed brought suffering, much as the Buddha has taught us will happen. 

I made an awful lot of mistakes there as well. But I also learned from them. And I have the scars to show for it.

The Cathedral was decidedly one of the stages of my life as a caterpillar. It was a clumsy time, a time of naivete and self-deception, a time when I sought my sense of self value from others, not yet confident enough in my own story to believe in myself. But that time, now, is one of many chapters of a much longer story and I accept it for what it was. And now, on the other side of that time, as painfully as it ended, I am grateful. 

I just pray that one day the Cathedral itself will once again emerge as a butterfly.

Writing Goodbyes to Let Go 

That doesn’t mean I hold any warmth for the Cathedral - at least not in its current state - nor do I intend to spend much time there. It is what it is and I accept that even as I largely find what it is intolerable. 

Fortunately, our paths do not need to cross often. 

The Cathedral I knew and loved is gone. Funerals are a good time to mourn the passing of loved ones, to celebrate the times of joy and opportunities for growth they provided, and to simply leave the rest at the door of the narthex. That includes the eight years of life at this Cathedral I remembered this day with sadness and yet with gratitude. In many ways, for me it was the funeral for the Cathedral that once was.

For those of us who pray through our writing, it is in writing of our pain that we heal; it is in writing of our sorrows that we work through our forgiveness; and it is through writing our goodbyes that we come to let go.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Harry Scott Coverston
Orlando, Florida

frharry@cfl.rr.com

hcoverston.orlando@gmail.com

If the unexamined life is not worth living, surely an unexamined belief system, be it religious or political, is not worth holding. Most things worth considering do not come in sound bites.

For what does G-d require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your G-d? (Micah 6:8, Hebrew Scriptures)

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro, Wisdom of the Jewish Sages (1993)

 © Harry Coverston 2019
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: