Friday, November 05, 2021

Chasing Butterflies, Feeding the Soul


My Mother always loved butterflies. They always seemed to capture her spirit – Light hearted, beautiful, fragile. 


Years ago at my Mother’s graveside service at the National Cemetery at Bushnell, we had just finished reciting the prayers of committal when seemingly from nowhere an entire flock of butterflies suddenly appeared among the graves just outside the outdoor chapel where we stood. Some of us saw it as a sign from beyond the veil – “I’m OK and I’ll always  be near you.” 

Like my Dad, I have always grown pollinator attractant plants in my yard. He grew them to draw the butterflies Mother loved. I grow them to do my part in confronting the challenge that bees and butterflies are facing in their struggle to avoid extinction. I also grow them out of love for the colorful eruptions of life that flutter across my yard as the butterflies visit the plants I’ve grown for them.

At a basic level, these plants and the butterflies they draw serve a sacramental role in my life, an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace. When I see the butterflies, I feel my Mother’s loving presence. And I always say, “Hello, Momma” when I see them.

 

Bearing the Souls of the Dead


I’m hardly the first to make this connection. The Aztecs believed that butterflies bore the souls of the dead. Around the time the monarchs have completed their continental migration each fall bringing them to overwinter in Mexico, the descendants of the Aztecs celebrate the souls of their ancestors with a colorful ritual that has come to be called Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead.

Depth psychologist Carl Jung often spoke of the archetypal energies which rose to consciousness out of a collective unconscious which all humanity shared. Reverencing the dead is a very human behavior. Thus, not surprisingly, observances commemorating the dead are seen in cultures around the world.

My Celtic ancestors celebrated Samhain marking the day that the veil between the living and the dead became thin enough for the dead to cross back over to visit those they had left behind. Our modern Halloween, literally the eve of All Saints and All Souls Days, owes its origin to that festival which, like Christmas and Easter, became Christianized feast days.



My Sister heard that the annual fall monarch migration was nearing its passage over the Panhandle of Florida. So when she asked if I wanted to spend Halloween butterfly watching with her and her husband, I was ready to go. A day when the dead are commemorated was the perfect day to go chasing butterflies. They even dressed in costume, Carole as the butterfly and Jim with the Panama hat and net of the catcher.

It’s a long ride from Orlando to St. Mark’s Lighthouse on the Gulf in the swampy, sparsely populated region of the state called the Big Bend. At some level, it’s like a journey back in time.



As we left the urban sprawl of Central Florida behind we drove through small towns with names like Cross City and Fannin Springs with their aging hotels, shuttered strip malls, gun shops and fast food joints. These islands of human habitation punctuate miles of pine forests and marshy wilderness. The “developers” have not yet arrived here. As we drove along we talked about the Florida we had grown up knowing, a Florida rapidly disappearing under the blade of the bulldozer and the bucket of the dragline. Increasingly the Florida we knew growing up no longer exists.

Undulating Waves of Orange


There has been a lighthouse at St. Marks mere feet away from Gulf coast waters since 1830. Long recognized as the best place to observe the monarch migration in Florida, it is located at the end of a 10 mile drive south of U.S. 98, the main highway which runs along the length of Florida’s Panhandle. 

It was here that I had seen the monarch migration 15 years ago while a graduate student at Florida State.Jung speaks of coincidences that prove to be meaningful as “synchronicity.” At some level that’s what I sense happened that day.

On a Sunday in late October I had left the Chapel of the Resurrection at FSU where I had preached and celebrated that morning. As I headed back to my apartment, I realized that I could not possibly stuff one more word from dense German social theorists into my head that day. Changing out of my dog collar into my civies, I climbed into my car whom I had named Imogenie and said, “Take me where I’m going.”

The next thing I knew I was nearing St. Marks.

As I came around a curve in the winding road to the lighthouse, the entire horizon suddenly turned orange. There were millions of monarchs there, feeding on the goldenrod then blooming. They formed undulating waves crossing the fields as far as the horizon. A cold front had passed through the region the night before providing a chilly day and a cobalt blue sky with a brilliant sun overhead. The sight was so staggering I lost my breath. I felt compelled to stop my car, get out and watch in awe as this amazing event transpired right in front of me.

Jung also speaks of experiences that prove incapable of being understood or explained in ordinary rational terms. He spoke of the “thrilling power” such experiences evoke in those who have them.

 


I think I understand what he was talking about. This encounter with the monarch migration absolutely blew me away. It is without a doubt one of the most deeply spiritual moments of my life. I have rarely felt as connected to creation and its Creator as I was in that moment. It is impossible to stand in the face of something so magnificent, so much larger than oneself, and not be moved to one’s core.

 

Beauty on the Brink of Extinction

I had hoped for a repeat of that incredible experience on this partly cloudy Halloween Sunday. But as we neared the lighthouse we had seen only a handful of butterflies. Nothing massive, no orange undulating waves. My heart sank.

At some level it was confirmation of my worst fears. The research I had done prior to our trip located a site from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service which estimates that the monarch population in the US has declined by 90% over the past two decades. Not surprisingly, the decline is due to abuses by the human animal who rarely shares the biosphere with them in a thoughtful manner. The USFWS studies found that monarch declines can be attributed to loss of habitat, the use of pesticides in industrial agriculture and anthropogenic climate change.

 


Butterflies are only a portion of the pollinator population endangered by human behaviors. Bees, who play a vital role in the production of fruits and vegetables, are also endangered. We human animals have some hard decisions to make whose consequences are almost entirely in our hands as we stand on the brink of the ecological disaster.

Within a few minutes of arriving at the lighthouse, the clouds overhead broke. With the sunshine, the butterflies that had made the migration began to emerge. At first there were only random butterflies fluttering by. Then we began to encounter bushes covered with butterflies. Their frenetic movement began to slow in the warmer air provided by the sunlight.

 



We were able to approach several individuals close enough to get decent photos. And at that moment I realized that even without the spectacular show I had anticipated, it had definitely been worth the time and trouble to have come all this way to be present here for a couple of hours in this beautiful spot along the Gulf Coast.

 

 




As we walked along the nature trail paralleling the coast, we could hear the fishermen who had waded into those muddy waters seeking their daily catch. Across the salt flats, the sun sparkled on brackish waters in which long legged herons sought their dinner. A soft, cool breeze blew in off the water as we walked along the shoreline.

Whatever else this might have been, it was what the doctor had ordered this day, much like my previous encounter.

 


Good for the Soul


I have discovered that it is crucial to my mental health to periodically come to the coast, to see what is left of the Florida I once loved, particularly those places where the developers have not yet arrived. “It’s good for the soul,” I said to my Brother-in-Law. He quickly agreed. 

So where will we go to touch base with our souls when the last inch of coastline is cleared to build condominiums for the wealthy preventing access to the sea on lands that hurricanes and sea level rise may soon make uninhabitable? Again, we have some very difficult choices ahead of us. 

We would cap off the afternoon with a wonderful early supper at the century old Lodge on Wakulla Springs. It, too, is a treasure of old Florida now run by the state park service. The Springs have been used for a number of film shoots including some of the Tarzan movies and the 1954 classic The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Glass bottom boats still take tourists out into the crystal clear waters of the Spring and its run to see alligators, manatees and snapping turtles. It is a beautiful spot largely left in its natural state in the midst of a region that is rapidly growing. 

After a wonderful dinner of local seafood that began with a serving of fried green tomatoes, it was time for the long drive home. I am grateful to my Sister for having put this trip together. It was a wonderful day away from the duties of daily life. And even as I mourn the decline of the monarchs and the degradation of this state I love, it is always a privilege to be able to be present in this last remnant of a once magnificent stretch of the good Creation.

It really is good for the soul.

 


 

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry Scott Coverston

 Orlando, Florida

 frharry@cfl.rr.com

 hcoverston.orlando@gmail.com

 If the unexamined life is not worth living, surely an unexamined belief system, be it religious or political, is not worth holding. Most things worth considering do not come in sound bites.

Those who believe religion and politics aren't connected don't understand either. – Mahatma Gandhi

For what does G-d require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your G-d?  - Micah 6:8, Hebrew Scriptures

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro, Wisdom of the Jewish Sages (1993)

© Harry Coverston, 2021

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

No comments: