Saturday, February 04, 2023

Saying Goodbye to a Legend


We came to bear witness to a man who had changed our lives.

There were thirteen of us from South Sumter High School who had come to the funeral of L.C. Coney in Leesburg. He was our high school band director in a time when everything seemed to be up in the air. He replaced a long time beloved band director whose progressive difficulties from a stroke had made it impossible for him to continue. And he came as one of the many teachers from the local black high school which had just been closed and merged into the white high school we attended in 1967.

There was nothing certain about the world we inhabited in the time following desegregation. And that impacted everyone from administrative staff to teachers to students. What was going to happen? That was the question on everyone’s minds.

Then this man stepped into the lurch.

They Called Him a Legend

At the funeral, they called him a Legend. That was probably an understatement. He could pick up any instrument in our band hall and play it adeptly. His ability to bring forth the love of music in his students was remarkable. But his role as a mentor, an exemplar of the fully human being, is not captured by the references to his work as a music teacher.

What I remember about Mr. Coney was his ability to touch my soul. Beginning with music. It helped that he had played my instrument, E flat alto saxophone. He demanded that I learn to play the saxophone as best I could. And I would play it six years in the band, in contests he insisted we attend, and into community college where I played in the pep band at basketball games.

 


But musical education was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to Mr. Coney. It was his ability to step into highly charged racial dynamics and bring all of the parties to a place of seeing each other as human that astonished me. “I stopped you from singing that song because they (our black classmates) had a song they were ready to sing in response. Everyone would have been at each other’s throats at that moment. So I stopped it.”

It was important to me to hear that our black classmates were feeling walked over. That was not something I thought much about. Indeed, we were trained not to think about that. But it was more important to have a teacher say to me, “Look, your behaviors have impacts on others.” It was important to me that a teacher recognized my value as a human being but insisted that I extend the same to the black classmates and teachers who were going to share our lives together.

In the end, I learned much more than music from this man.

 

Lessons in Courage and Tenacity

I often say that Mr. Coney held our school together in those tense times of desegregation, when our school mascot was the Rebels and our school song was Dixie. In retrospect, I can only imagine how hard that was for him and for all our black teachers and classmates who had just lost their own beloved school and now were forced to attend the one that I had always taken for granted. In time, we would change the school mascot to the Raiders and Dixie was never played again. As much as I resisted that at the time, I recognized in retrospect that I was wrong, it was absolutely the only path forward. 

Over the years, I came to trust Mr. Coney. That was saying a lot. I did not trust the white men who were coaches and former coaches turned administrators who ran our school and whose world I  would never share. But, Mr. Coney was real, candid, honest. He spoke to me as a human being, one on one. And I learned very quickly that when he said something, I needed to take it seriously.

What was most important was the human being he presented to us. I say us. I mean white people. We had been taught to see black people as less than human. That included the teachers who came from the black school. Surely they were less than proficient teachers. The federal government may have required us to deal with them but we all knew they weren’t real teachers.

But they were. I think back about all the teachers who came from Mills High School in Webster, the former black school, to their newly integrated and instantly overcrowded high school at South Sumter.  Each one taught me something of value. And that was often in the face of enormous pressures from white kids and their parents who presumed Black teachers had nothing to offer their children. But they did, in spite of that enormous pressure. To this day, I honor their courage and their tenacity.

What It Means to Be Human


Mr. Coney, however, was in a class unto himself. The many speakers at his funeral from fellow FAMU alumni to the Florida Bandmasters Association who read resolutions and acknowledgements honoring him evidenced that. The many people who came to bid him farewell evidenced that. The eleven of us students from South Sumter – the handful of white attendees in a sea of black mourners - were there to testify to the incredible gift we had received from this teacher.

What Mr. Coney had exemplified was the humanity of a black man who appeared to us in the form of an incredible teacher. We saw in him the fullness of what it means to be human, a man with incredible talents, a man intent on sharing those with the world, a man who insisted his students become all they could be, a man who cared deeply about all his students as persons and would settle for nothing less than them learning to engage each other in their full humanity. 

Bear in mind, our admiration of Mr. Coney was a stark refutation of the racist constructs with which so many of us had been raised. The idea that a black man was fully human was anathema to the cultural understandings in which we had been steeped both consciously and unconsciously from the beginning of our lives in a deeply racist culture.

But this man broke apart all those stereotypes. We came to trust him. More importantly, we came to love him. And, before it was over, we came to revere him. As a result, we began the long, painful process of dealing with the cognitive dissonance that told us that what we had been raised to believe was wrong. And incredibly destructive.

We all had a lot to unlearn back then. And we are still unlearning it today. But thanks to our beloved teacher, we got a head start.

Our hearts ached as we said goodbye to him. But our spirits soared as we realized how fortunate we had been to know him, giving thanks to a generous Creator who allowed us to experience a Legend if only for a short while.

G-dspeed, Mr. Coney. May your Legend live on in us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry Scott Coverston

Orlando, Florida

frharry@cfl.rr.com

hcoverston.orlando@gmail.com

If the unexamined life is not worth living, surely an unexamined belief system, be it religious or political, is not worth holding. Most things worth considering do not come in sound bites.

Those who believe religion and politics aren't connected don't understand either. – Mahatma Gandhi

For what does G-d require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your G-d?  - Micah 6:8, Hebrew Scriptures

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro, Wisdom of the Jewish Sages (1993)

  © Harry Coverston, 2022

 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

  

4 comments:

Janet Mize said...

Thank you, Harry, for sharing your experience of beginning life as racist. I cannot totally relate as a native Californian. While we did not encounter many black folks, we felt that they were not necessarily inferior, but just less fortuanhte; so we did not have to relate to them. Yes, that is still racist. Out culture out here did not steep us with the thoughts and history of the South.

Jim Claunch said...

Harry, my high school in 1967 was the largest one in Alabama right in the capitol city of Montgomery and George Wallace was the governor. His two teenage children were students there. Peggy was a cheerleader and George Jr. played music. I once went on a double date with Peggy and we picked her up at the Governor's mansion. Needless to I was also raised to see black people as less than human. In college I was a KA with the Confederate flag at our fraternity parties and a picture of Robert E. Lee above the fireplace at the fraternity parties where we of course sang, "Dixie". Things changed a little bit while I was an officer in the Army serving under a black general who everyone held in awe. In seminary a study of Jesus and his relationship to Samaritans and lepers and women confronted my own racism and brought me to my knees. I saw the evil of it and the evil I had embraced following my own community leaders as a boy. I recognize it's voice in me even to this day but when at my best I tell it to just shut up. Walking and talking every day for three with the leader of the black community in one city where I was a pastor taught me many of the lessons you learned much earlier. We are now best friends. As a boy I actually lived in a small town outside of Montgomery in Lowndes County, Alabama. There is a new documentary out that many are watching now for Black History month called Lowndes County: The Road To Black Power. Google it and you will see what I was raised with at that time. My good black friend now says he is amazed that coming out of that I have so changed to be who I am. People like your band mentor and my friend David are the best teachers to help us change. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sandra Goodson McClanahan said...

Beautifully written, Harry. Thank you. I am not sure if you were able to catch sight of all of the SSHS alumni... Are you counting Paul and Sandra Woodard, myself, Stacy Guess Lester, Helen Bellamy Christian, Gloria Boone, and Julie Southcott Staton? I feel sure that you did count Doreen, her daughter, and sister Linda, since they were all together on that side. I think there were a few more sitting at the very back right, as well. I thought I recognized a few of my former students, which might have been during the 8 years that our careers overlapped at SSHS.

frharry said...

Thanks, Sandra. I did not include all of those persons in my count so I think the 13 I note here now is probably correct given your corrections. Thank you.