Wednesday, March 01, 2023

The Magic of Ash Wednesday


I have always loved the Ash Wednesday liturgy. I say that even as I recognize that I do not find the sin/salvation focus of most Christian theology compelling. I think the Way of Jesus is way too important to obsess over sinfulness. I see that obsession as largely a form of unrecognized egocentrism. Taking sin seriously does not require making that the starting point or the ultimate goal of the Christian faith even as it has often served as exactly that. It is an impoverished vision of the Jesus experience, as I see it.


Frans van Everbroeck, “Memento Mori” (1672)

Similarly, while I do not think the obsession with death that we see in the medieval Christian mind is healthy, I likewise experience the reaction formation of our modern death-denying culture to be suffocating. That plays out in a youth fetish that drives industries peddling everything from erectile disfunction drugs to plastic surgery to erase the image of aging. It also results in a denial of the wisdom of elders and often a warehousing of human beings that become little more than passengers seated in Death’s Waiting Room.

Death is a part of life. It is the inevitable end point of our mortal journeys. And it is the deal we made coming into this finite life, even as it is the part we often like least. Francis of Assisi was onto something when he referred to that last part of the deal as the visit of Sister Death. In truth She is always with us even as we do our best to deny her presence. But Francis knew we would do well to honor her.


Becoming mindful of our death and reflecting on it in a liturgical setting as a community is a healthy thing, I think. There is something deeply moving about each of us going to the altar, standing shoulder to shoulder, and having a cross mark made of ashes from last year’s Palm Sunday placed on our foreheads that touches our souls. 

We are there together, as our souls were before coming to this plane and as they will be upon leaving it. In the meantime, we share this life and this time together, in solidarity with one another on our earthly journeys. And we are with the G-d who is always present with us though we are far too often not terribly conscious of that presence.

Ash Wednesday provides us with the reason, the time and place to remember these things. There is a reason we engage in this rite every year.


A Magical Moment

My favorite memory of Ash Wednesday came from my time in law school. It was my senior year there. I would graduate with a Juris Doctor from the University of Florida within a couple of months. I would be leaving Gainesville, this beautiful college town where I had lived off and on a good portion of my life. Nothing was stable in my life at that moment including the upcoming challenge of being admitted into the Florida Bar.

At that moment I was fighting myself at least as much as the challenges of the law school courses my History major had poorly equipped me to take (State and Local Tax, e.g.) but required to pass in order to procure my degree. Worse yet, I was pretty clear I was not temperamentally suited to be a lawyer even as I was intelligent enough, commanded superior verbal skills and had become sufficiently educated in the law to provide me passage into the legal profession a year later. 

It would take me eight years thereafter to realize that no amount of pounding the square peg of my life would ever allow it to fit comfortably in the round hole of the legal profession. That's how long It would take me to work up the courage to walk away from practicing law. But I was nowhere close to that on this Ash Wednesday. I had no way of knowing the difficult road that lay ahead of me. I simply knew that I needed to be in church that day.

I had gotten high with a friend earlier that afternoon. He was a Roman Catholic and I thought perhaps he’d go to services with me. He declined. But, undeterred, I decided to drive across town to Holy Trinity Episcopal, the venerable old Episcopal Church downtown, to attend the late afternoon service by myself. 

I’ve often wondered how much of what I experienced thereafter was the THC in my system. In 1981 marijuana was still illegal in Florida as we had just learned in our criminal law courses. But there is also a long, venerable history of peoples around the world who regularly enter into spiritual experiences by means of psychotropic drugs. And I think I understood that after this experience.


A Rich Song of Humanity

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Gainesville, FL

I always loved being in that old gothic parish, its stained glass windows allowing little pools of colored light to pour into the sanctuary, its carved wooden interior darkened by years of candle and incense smoke, the odor of which was always faintly present when I came into this church. There was a sense of the holy in this place, made sacred by the presence of souls assembled for prayer there over the years. The presence of the Holy was palpable.

As I sat listening to the penitential rite, I suddenly became aware that the bottom hung casement windows below the stained glass panels were open. The parish had a day school and nursery on-site and the playground for the nursery was just outside the windows where I was sitting. Through those windows came the sounds of happy children playing, singing, running, shouting. Their glee mixed with the beautiful somber Elizabethan English spoken by the clergy at the altar forming a rich song of humanity.

It was a sunny, warm day in early March. Outside the azaleas, amaryllis and dogwoods were in full bloom. The smell of the flowers wafted in on the breeze, mixing with the lingering smells of incense and candle wax inside. 

I felt my soul suddenly coming alive at that moment. The elements of life and death, of penitence and celebration, the smells of solemnity and fertility, were all blending together in that darkened, candle lit parish as the sworls of colored light pouring through stained glass windows danced on the hardwood floor and the back of the pews.

It was truly a magical moment. Indeed, for a few moments, I felt I had been transported to another world.

 


Hank Willis Thomas, "The Embrace," Boston Commons (2023)

Perhaps more importantly, I felt myself wrapped in the arms of the Holy, comforted, secure. I so badly needed that service that day. I had no idea where I was going. I had no idea what life would bring to me. And in retrospect, I had good reason to be fearful.

But for that moment, in the midst of that crucible of the holy and the profane, I was there, present with G-d, present with fellow worshippers, present with all the souls of the departed that had once made that parish their home, their presence periodically made known in the popping of the wooden roof and creaking of the kneelers in the pew. And that was precisely where I needed to be.

I was OK. And somehow I sensed that everything would be OK. The liturgy reminded me that death certainly awaited me at the end of my life journey. I had no trouble remembering that I had come from ashes and would return to ashes. But I also was certain that the Holy One would be present in the ensuing journey with me and with all of us that day, from the three year old boy bleating joyfully from the swing set outside to the failing elderly man stumbling on his way to the altar to receive his ashes.

I never fail to think of that day every Ash Wednesday. I don’t think I have missed a single Ash Wednesday liturgy since then. My journey has brought me much further along that road to my own encounter with Sister Death since then. But the magic of this special liturgy continues to enchant me. And this past Wednesday, as I sat with a community I have come to love and have dared to allow myself to be loved by them, our heads all bearing an ashen cross, all I could feel was gratitude. 


Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry Scott Coverston

Orlando, Florida

frharry@cfl.rr.com

hcoverston.orlando@gmail.com

If the unexamined life is not worth living, surely an unexamined belief system, be it religious or political, is not worth holding. Most things worth considering do not come in sound bites.

Those who believe religion and politics aren't connected don't understand either. – Mahatma Gandhi

For what does G-d require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your G-d?  - Micah 6:8, Hebrew Scriptures

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro, Wisdom of the Jewish Sages (1993)

  © Harry Coverston, 2022

 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

No comments: